Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Teaching To The Text Message


Well to start off i think that to learn how to write correctly takes time. There is more to writing than juss periods, commas, and punctuation. It takes time and effort to become a great writer. While i also feel that me being in college, I have time to perfect my skills and become a better writer. I also totally agree with the article that I read. I honestly think that it is more interesting to practice your writing skills by commenting on videos, interacting with other people through blogs, or even using social media websites. I know that it is all part of a learning experience, but that does'nt mean that the learning has to be boring. I think students can learn more effectively and easier by having a little fun in the classroom. If a student was given a term paper, or a research paper to write, true enough they would try their best at it, but they probrably wouldn't receive anything from it. It takes more energy to write longer papers. By the time your done, you probably forgot what you wrote, because you were to busy trying to focus on completing the paper.


3 comments:

  1. Kayla, I agree. In the past three years I have been attending college I have wrote my fair share of research papers. Spending days of continuous writing and endless night of sleep it is a little disappointing to finish and not remember any of it. Maybe this is due to being sleep deprived and too hyped up on caffeine, but whatever the point the paper always feels as a waste. We are only students. It is disappointing to think about how many papers I have wrote to only be in the trash by now. I know the importance of the research paper and why it is taught, but for some reason I never walk away happy to spend so much time on something that does not matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your blog Kayla when you stated it takes time to become a great writer. Practice makes perfect as they say, so putting full effort into your work will make a difference. With term papers, I agree with Ashley above when she said you can be sleep deprived, I've learned a lot about that in psychology class. You'll start to daydream as your writing a long paper so maybe a energy boost will wake you up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you-what's the point of writing something that doesn't really matter to anyone other than your professor? And learning does not (and should not) be boring. I always encourage my students to pick a topic that interests them when they write research papers; if it matters to them, chances are it matters to someone else. I also encourage them to use the research in future classes; you can always expand on a research paper in one class later in another class (I've done that quite often as a student). That doesn't mean simply recycling an old paper; professors usually won't let you do that and if they find out you have, they will probably give you an F on the paper. But you can use previous research as a jumping-off place for new research. That way, it feels less like work that ends up in the trash. Also, keep in mind that each Feb., JSU hosts a student research symposium where you can present your research; that's a great experience and it gives you something to put on your resume and/or application to grad. school.

    ReplyDelete